Industrial designs are registered in Cambodia with the Department of Industrial Property within the Ministry of Industry and Handicraft.
The legal framework is provided in the Law on Patents, Utility Models and Industrial Designs, along with an implementing regulation, the Prakas (Declaration) on the Procedure for Registration of Industrial Design.
A registrations is valid for five years from the filing date of the application, and can be renewed for two further periods of five years, for a total potential term of fifteen years.
The application may be performed by the owner themselves, or a licensed IP agent. The basic registration form requires the following information:
- Name, address, and nationality of the applicant and inventor
- Title of the industrial design
- International classification (referring to the Locarno Classification)
- Indication of the kinds of products for which the design is to be used
- Indication of novelty and protectable points of the design
- A short description
- Priority claim information, if applicable
The application form is to be submitted with the following documents:
- Drawings, photographs or other adequate graphic representation of the design
- An original, notarized power of attorney, assuming the applicant is filing through an agent
- An original, notarized statement justifying the applicant's right
- A certified copy of the priority documents and English translation, if priority is claimed.
As soon as the required documentation is submitted in full and the application fee paid, the Registrar will provide an application number and filing date. The examination takes several months, depending on the processing by the Registrar. After acceptance, the design will be published and a certificate of registration provided to the owner.
For further information, full details can be found in our Guide to Industrial Designs in Cambodia.